Friday, July 18, 2008

Discussing the gospel with Catalin

Today I met with a close friend here named Catalin who became a Christian less than two years ago. We were discussing God and the gift he has given us in Jesus Christ. Cata said, "Think about this, would you send your only son, whom you love, to go into the river and die to save a mosquito? Or if you saved the city of mosquitos through sending your son to die, what would you do if an ungrateful mosquito landed on you and started sucking your blood? Would you love it? Would you still try to save it?"

This analogy he makes is sticking, because we won't do these things, but it is not strong enough. There is a larger gap between God and us than there is between us and a mosquito. We have offended God much more than the mosquito who sucks our blood. So God sent His Son to save us. His love is incomprehenisble.

What I liked about Cata's analogy is that God's love is an incomprehensible love. My answer to the question of would I send my son to die so that I might save a mosquito is "Of course not." If a mosquito that I had already sacrificed to save started sucking my blood again, would I love it? No! I'd smash it in an instant. I hate mosquitos. I am currently covered in bites from them. They have offended me. However, I have offended God much more than the mosquitos have offended me. I am more worthy of an abrupt end of my life as punishment for continued sin than the mosquitos who continue to bite me.

God is love. He has loved us with a love that is beyond comprehension. Let us worship Him and thank Him for His grace and His love for us! Think about how undeserving we are of the cross. Let it amaze you. How could God have done something like this? How incredible is it that I receive life from this amazing love!

2 comments:

I've always wondered why a loving God made mosquitos, maybe it was just for that analogy!

Tell Catalin that I am going to steal that analogy to preach the gospel to myself.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites