Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Taste of China in Romania

Yesterday was my birthday and I got to spend the day with my wonderful husband! That in itself was great and I loved it! In the afternoon we went to look for some form of art that we could hang on our lovely white walls. Then, we went to one of our favorite places in town, the big park. It is the most peaceful place in Craiova. We spent time reading our Bibles, praying, and enjoying fellowship together!


As the evening came, we ventured onto a restaurant that Paul has tried to take me to on our past two date nights: The Golden Dragon. Yes, it is indeed a Chinese restaurant smack dab in the middle of Craiova. You can imagine the experience...

We walk in, typical Americans eating at 6pm - no one else in the restaurant. We asked if they were open, they were. This place was nice --- they even brought us a warm washcloth to the table to wash our hands before our meal. Paul ordered some lamb dish (lamb is one of his favorites!) and I ordered Pui Shanghai. Thankfully the menu was both in Romanian and English...very very simple English. My dish was translated "fried chicken." Haha, that is exactly what I got! We thought by chance it might be like Empress Chicken or something, but it wasn't. It was worth a try. It came with some sauces on the side, so I had fun creating a delicious "shanghai" flavor! We learned a few things:
1. Rice is not included
2. The tea is authentic Chinese tea - also Paul's favorite!
3. We're going to have to experiment a little with the menu, but we do think we'll find some things we like.
4. Fried ice cream literally means fried ice cream. It does not include vanilla ice cream with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled all over it. It is actually a rare delicacy...think: CORNDOG. Ice cream pop (on a stick), fried in batter, served on a plate with a spoon and two little orange slices. I couldn't stop laughing and desired so badly to take a picture so I could show you all! Paul thought it would be disrespectful, so I didn't. I will let you use your imaginations.

Overall, it was quite an enjoyable experience and we will definitely be going back sometime in the future. I don't think we will be getting fried ice cream again.

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites