Tuesday, September 2, 2008

La Multi Ani, Paul!

Hey everybody, I wanted to tell you all how I celebrated my birthday this year. On August 28th, two days before my birthday, my very sweet wife planned a surprise for me with many of my friends in the park. We had fun there, and I thought that was the end of my celebration. I thought this because we spent my 23rd birthday, August 30th, in the mountains celebrating our good friends Radu and Andreea. They are getting married on October 11th, and they invited us to the mountains for the weekend with some other friends of theirs. We totaled 24 people. The weekend was a blast, and we will post more about it later.

Anyways, on Saturday evening we were playing futbol, (soccer for you Americans,) and were nearing the end of them game. A player on my team was open in front of the goal, and I wanted to get the ball to him. The ball was bouncing and my back was to my teammate. I intended to pass the ball to him by kicking it backwards, over my shoulder, to him. I’ve done this quite a few times. Right after I kicked the ball to pass it to him, I felt like I was punched in the face, and saw the ball bouncing at my feet again. I tried to pass it again, but nothing happened, and I’m dazed, because I just kicked a soccer ball into my own face. Less than one minute later we ended the game tied, and my team called on me to kick a tiebreaking penalty kick, which I missed, because I still couldn’t see straight, and we lost. Right after that, we all went inside, and I was surprised with a cake, and a bunch of Romanians singing to me on my birthday. I was really thankful, and surprised, and I still had no idea what was going on.

Here are a few pictures. Notice that my nose is big and red and it looks like I’m about to cry. I wish that this was evidence of thankfulness flowing from my heart, but really I had just taken a ball to the face, and hadn’t had time to compose myself yet. It’s a fun memory, one of many that we made this weekend.



It was a blast, and I’m very thankful to Radu and Andreea for surprising me during their celebration. More on the weekend to the mountains will come…

1 comments:

Paul,
I'm delighted that you had a fun birthday....Marty and I were sad on the 30th since this was the first time that we couldn't even call you to wish you happy birthday! Can't wait to hear more about your weekend in the mtns.

By the way, it seems to me that your nose has been getting in the way a lot lately.... :o)

I love you!
Mom

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites